Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Food preparers beware

The difficulty level in preparing foods for David has me a bit spooked. Read a label on any box, container, pasta.... in the pantry and you will see why. Nearly everything includes a variation on corn or soy.
Both are used extensively in items such as:
  • sugars (particularly powdered and brown)
  • baking powder and other leavening ingredients
  • flours
  • pastas
  • cereals
  • canned soups
  • bullion cubes
  • canned beans (think Bush's baked)
  • canned fruits
  • canned veggies
  • snack food items of all kinds from chips to fruit snacks and flavored yogurts
  • foods in foil packages as the packages are often dusted with a corn product to prevent sticking to the packaging
  • crackers
  • condiments
  • juices
  • sodas and many other beverages...
the list goes on and on and on and on.

Products that have an ingredient of "citric acid" often have used an acid derived from corn. Corn is hidden in the ingredients listed as:
  • modified starches
  • vegetable oil(s) (the standard veggie oil is made from soy)
  • alcohol
  • syrup
  • citric acid
  • maltodextrin
and once again the list continues.

This means I can't use traditional baking powder, I need to find a brand that uses a potato starch or make my own. This means that my vanilla may not be safe and I have to investigate it prior to cooking with it. This means I have to research my oats, nuts (can't be processed in a plant with peanuts) and coconut before I make David some granola. YIKES!!! Same with my powdered sugar, brown sugar, flour, pastas and so on. Thank God I have one less class in the Fall. Food preparation will be a full time job.

Of late we have been attempting to eat more plain veggies and grilled meat. Both of which should be safe. Some waxed fruits/veggies however are also now unsafe. Horizon organic plain yogurt appears to be safe. My neighbor and I had dinner one night and she served a dessert of fresh fruit and plain yogurt. While we were in San Antonio we got smoothies from a Mediterranean place that made smoothies from yogurt, bananas, other fresh fruit and a bit of honey. Combining both concepts, I have been making breakfast smoothies with the yogurt and fresh fruits. They are delicious but only a short lived fulfillment as there isn't much protein or fiber to keep one full until lunch time. David had one this morning. He mixed his with blueberries and the yogurt.

I'm feeling overwhelmed and I have to go shop. David and I made a pasta I think is safe last night and he tossed it with fresh mozzarella balls, garlic and Parmesan with a little olive oil. I'm still not 100% certain that my garlic is corn free. YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment