Saturday, April 16, 2011

Banana Bread (beef, corn, gluten, peanut & soy free)

After attempting a yeast bread and being so disappointed in the result (much more like a quick bread) I decided to bake a quick bread this weekend. I went for banana because I had two bananas that were just over-ripe waiting to be consumed. Almond flour is extremely expensive so I've been purchasing whole almonds by the pound and grinding them myself in my magic bullet knock off. I didn't have walnuts, my preference in banana bread, but I did have an abundance of the almonds.

Ingredients
1/4 cup sweet sorghum flour
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup ground flax seeds (you can purchase flax meal but the seeds are cheaper per pound)
1/3 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder (Hains)
1 teaspoon guar gum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (extra full - not a full teaspoon, maybe closer to 3/4 teaspoon)
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 medium ripe bananas
1 egg
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)

Method
My butter was cold from the fridge so I cut it into chunks and threw it in my stand mixer with the paddle attachment and the sugar. I whipped it for a few minutes until the butter was well incorporated with the sugar. Then I added the egg, mixed well. Add the bananas (I just broke off chunks and dropped it in while the paddle was turning). Put the baking powder, guar gum
and baking soda in and mix well. Then I dumped the first two flours in. Mixed well. Put about a third of the sour cream in and mixed well. Then the potato starch and flax seeds, mixing well. Another third of the sour cream. Mix. Then the almond flour and remaining sour cream. I mixed it for just a moment the dropped in the nuts.

I buttered a loaf pan and dusted some of the almond flour on the bottom and a little up the sides of the pan.

350 degrees. 45-50 mins until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it sit in the pan about an hour if you can wait. It should turn right out of the pan.


Serve
We like butter

We couldn't tell that this was made with alternative flours. YEA! =)


*Sorry for the blurry pics, I was too busy eating to re-take!

1 comment:

  1. It is a nice recipe of banana bread. I am really happy with your recipe. Banana is a source of potassium. Banana is good for health.

    ReplyDelete