Friday, October 22, 2010

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread (corn free)


I haven't baked in a while. Baking is something that prior to David's allergy I took for granted. I could purchase whatever flour was on sale and same for all the other ingredients out there....

I love pumpkin. It signals fall and pies and comfort foods galore. Pumpkin pie, however, was about the extent of previous pumpkin baking in my repertoire. I decided today to search on cooks.com and see what else was out there for my recently obtained organic pumpkin in a can. I chose to make Pumpkin Cranberry Bread because it sounded good. Also I just opened a container of cranberry juice. Just the cranberry juice, nothing added and NOT from concentrate. That'll put your teeth on edge. We purchase juice like this all the time. And then we typically drink about 1/2 water with the juice. For the cranberry, we needed only about a 1/4 glass of juice to the water. Also we don't have juice every day. We'd rather have high quality real JUICE occasionally than concentrated with who knows what juice every day. That said I figured what the heck cranberry and pumpkin - bring it on.

Adapted from cooks.com

Ingredients
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (I mixed my own)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1.5 teaspoons sea salt
  • 3 cups granulated organic sugar
  • 15 oz of organic pumpkin
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup cranberry juice
  • 1 cup frozen cranberries
Method
  • Pre-heat oven to 350
  • Dump everything except cranberries into large mixing bowl (Kitchen Aid stand mixer to the rescue!) and combine.
  • Add berries and fold in.
  • Pour into two greased loaf pans.
  • Bake 350 for 60-65 mins or until toothpick comes out clean


(my 2 loaves baking away as I post)

No comments:

Post a Comment